Next up in our ‘Mi Casa Es Tu Casa’ series, we have the man behind the Mission’s wildly successful gem, Papalote. When Miguel Escobedo opened Papalote in 1999 with his brother. He wanted to bring the taste of a sunny day in Chapultepec, Mexico to the Bay Area. The Papalote menu is a tribute to Mexican fare at its tastiest and he never strays too far from his traditional roots.
Today, Miguel has made the savory breakfast dish, Huevos Rancheros. Huevos Rancheros was first served on rural Mexican farms as a hearty breakfast for the families working long hours in the fields. It is the perfect blend of salt and spice and will definitely tide you over until lunchtime (and maybe even dinner)!
True to Casa Sanchez form, we had to throw Miguel a little curve-ball and asked him to include our Pico de Gallo into the dish along with Papalote’s own Roasted Tomato Salsa. The finished product was a flavor-bomb and we know what we’ll be cooking up for breakfast for the rest of the week!
In the mood for something spicy? Try it at home using Miguel’s recipe below!
Huevos Rancheros with Two Salsas
- Put 2 heavy dinner plates in oven and preheat to 200°. Heat Papalote Roasted Tomato Salsa and Casa Sanchez Pico de Gallo in a small saucepan over low heat, covered.
- Fill a large frying pan with 1/2 in. oil and heat over medium heat until the handle of a wooden spoon bubbles when you stand it in the oil. Remove plates from oven.
- Using tongs, fry each tortilla 2 seconds per side. Sprinkle jack cheese onto one of the tortillas, place the other tortilla on top and grill each side for 1 minute. Once cheese has melted, place on a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Cook 4 eggs, gently spooning oil over yolks to set them, 2 minutes for firm whites and runny yolks.
- Spoon about 3 tbsp. warm salsa onto each plate of tortillas. Using a slotted spatula or spoon, transfer 2 eggs to each plate, draining against side of pan first, and top with another 3 tbsp. salsa.
- Sprinkle eggs with jack cheese and serve!
Craving more? Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss a tasty update!